The United States of America is a unique part of the world in that if you look across the vast expanse of our country, you’ll find every type of climate, landscape, and soil you could imagine. If you’re lucky, you can find singular locations that provide all of these in one place, and that place is Red River, New Mexico. Not only do you encounter the southern part of the fabled Rocky Mountains, you also encounter some amazingly dry, dessert areas nearby.
Red River is a quaint mountain town that is often times looked over by such ski-vacation juggernauts as Taos & Angel Fire, NM to its south and, of course, places like Vail, Colorado to the north. Nonetheless, Red River offers up a smorgasbord of winter & summer activities for the entire family, but it also offers up some great times for couples looking to find a nice mountain getaway that isn’t yet festooned with visitors trying to muck up the natural wonder of the area.
Here are nine very cool things couples can do in Red River that not only make it unique, but make it undeniably a hip haven for those in the know:
1. Candy Crate, LLP – Here you and your sweetheart can enjoy a nostalgic little candy shop that is loved by everyone. You can also try the famed Candy Mountain Fudge that has been a hallmark of this candy shop for nearly thirty years.
2. Texas Reds Steakhouse – Before heading to get some fudge, why not have a nice out to a staple of the Red River business landscape by stopping by Texas Reds? Enjoy a great meal with friendly service in a restaurant that has been in operation for half a century.
3. Red River MIner’s Transit – Take a load off by taking the Miner’s Transit system in town. It may not be thrillingly romantic, but it is a nice way to move around town while chatting about all of the great places you’ve been & where you still want to go.
4. Line Dancing – Line dancing (as well as a number of other activities) is available at the Red River Community House at different times a year. This year, it’s available from early June through early August 2017.
5. Sand Dunes – Take a day-trip together a little north of Red River & check out The Great Sand Dunes National Monument. If you’re both big fans of landscapes & natural wonders, this is a ‘must’ for your visit.
6. Art – If you’re both bug fans of art, check out some of the more coveted artwork of the area by heading to the Red River Gallery of Fine Art.
If you & your significant other have decided to take a breather & just enjoy relaxing, these final three things to do are totally worth it:
7. Aroma Therapy at Essential O2 Bar
8. Therapeutic Massage, Facials, and Sugar Scrubs at Joy of Massage
9. Yoga at Carol Swagerty Yoga
As you can see, Red River, New Mexico has a lot more to offer couples than just skiing, snowboarding, and outdoor activities. Obviously, if those things are up both of your alleys, by all means enjoy. Sometimes, however, it can be the most romantic to just try something a little different from the norm. Have fun!
Thinking about a couples getaway to Red River, New Mexico? Touch base with Lifts West today for all of your lodging needs!